T&T Marriage Laws


Thank you for visiting Trinidad Weddings Events Vendor website! Marriage is the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.  The couple is formally recognized as husband and wife through the legal, religious and social processes attached to marriage.  There are four kinds of marriages recognised in Trinidad and Tobago:

  • Civil Marriage
  • Hindu Marriage
  • Muslim Marriage
  • Orisa Marriage

Civil, Muslim and Orisa marriages must be performed by a licensed Marriage Officer.  Marriage Officers are ordained ministers of a recognized religious denomination or organization.  Civil marriage is the most common form of marriage in Trinidad and Tobago and can be performed by a Marriage Officer, Warden or the Registrar General.  All Christian marriages performed in a church are civil marriages, provided the presiding minister is a licensed Marriage Officer.  Please contact the Registrar General for information on Muslim, Hindu and Orisa marriages.

You must be 18 years of age to marry in Trinidad and Tobago, but exemptions may be granted on religious grounds.  The minimum age for Muslim marriages is 12 years old.  The minimum age for Hindu marriages is 16 years old.  Please contact the Registrar General for information on how to apply for an age exemption.

How do I arrange a Civil Marriage?

Couples wanting to get married must first give Notice of Marriage in person at a Civil Registry office.  This includes those who wish to get married through a religious ceremony in a church.  Please follow the link below for Civil Registry office locations.

If you are subject to Immigration Control you must contact the Registrar General at (868) 624-1660 as you will require permission to marry in this country.

Before giving Notice of Marriage you must:?

  • Make an appointment to give notice in person at the registrar’s office.
  • Know the venue for your marriage, such as a registrar’s office, church or other location.

You need to bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Permission to marry if you are not a National of Trinidad & Tobago.
  • Evidence of identity – such as a National ID Card, Driver’s Permit or Passport.
  • Proof of address – such as a utility bill.

At least seven days must have elapsed from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place.  The notice is valid for one year.

Application for a Marriage Officer’s Licence?

A marriage officer is a person who has been appointed and authorized to conduct
marriages.  You must be an ordained minister affiliated with a religious
denomination and be registered as a Marriage Officer to perform marriages in
Trinidad and Tobago.

How do I apply?

You must visit the Office of the Attorney General to obtain a Marriage Officer’s Licence application form.

Office of the Attorney General 23-27 St. Vincent Street Port of Spain Trinidad, West Indies Tel. (868) 623-7010 Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays

Your completed application form must be submitted to the same office with the following supporting documentation:

  • Proof of identity, such as a national identification card, driving permit or passport.
  • A letter of recommendation from the head of your religious organisation and your original ordination  certificate.
  • If you are a member of a new organisation, an original certificate of incorporation and a letter giving details of the organisation.

Have you been married before?

If you have been married before, evidence that the marriage has ended will need to be seen (i.e. original decree absolute for divorce or death certificate, if your spouse has died).

What fees do I need to pay?

The cost for a marriage license is TT$62.50.  You must also pay an additional TT$25.00 to obtain a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate.

Advice to foreign nationals

When either or both parties to the marriage are not citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, they should contact the Registrar General’s Office before giving Notice of Marriage.

Getting married in Trinidad and Tobago or to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago gives no automatic right to remain or reside in the country.

For more info go to ttconnect